The FTC competition is designed for students who want to compete head to head using a sports model. Teams design, build, and program their robots to compete in an Alliance against other teams. Awards are given for the competition, as well as community outreach, design, and other real-world accomplishments. Students get to make robots in a real-life engineering process. They develop strategic problem-solving, organizational, and team-building skills
- FTC tournaments are organized in 15 countries for up to 7000 teams
- Teams: 6 to 10 students per team, aged 12 to 20 years, plus a mentor. All their steps and design choices are recorded in the engineering notebook
- Each year fresh challenges on a field of 3mx3m with a 0.45m x 0.45m x 0.45m robot.
- FTC Robotics Kit contains motors, sensors, metal gears, game controllers, wireless communications, all the building materials you need and professional grade software
FTC match & robot
A FTC match starts with a 30 second autonomous period where robots are operated via pre- programmed instructions only. The two minute driver controlled period follows the autonomous period. The last 30seconds of the driver controlled period is called the end game.
Two Alliances –one “Red” and one “Blue,” composed of two teams each– compete in each match. The object of the game is to attain a higher score than the opposing alliance.
The maximum size of the Robot at the start of the match is 45.72cm (18 inches) wide by 45.72cm (18 inches) long by 45.72cm (18 inches) high. After the match has started it can become as big as you’d like (by extending an arm for example).
There is no weight limit.
- All raw materials are allowed provided they are readily available to the majority of teams from standard distributors. Examples of allowable raw materials are:
· Sheet goods
· Extruded shapes
· Metals, plastics, wood, rubber, etc.
- All post-processed materials are allowed provided they are readily available to the majority of teams from standard distributers. Examples of allowable post processed materials are:
· Perforated sheet and diamond plate
· Injection molded parts
· 3D printed parts